Installing the AdvancedTomato firmware onto the Linksys E2500 v3
For those of you that don’t know, AdvancedTomato is a fork from the Tomato by Shibby project, but with a much improved GUI frontend, and much easier to use.
I bought this one as it’s still a current model being sold which has AdvancedTomato support and is very cheap for what you get.
Disclaimer: When doing things on the firmware level there is always a possibility that something might go wrong and your router becomes bricked.
- Connect the router via an ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports (1-4), not the WAN port
- Login at http://192.168.1.1/
- Download the firmware from https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/e2500v3
- Flash this onto the router in the firmware upgrade tab
- Wait for it to reboot (1-5 mins)
- Once the router is back, go to http://192.168.1.1 and login
- Erase NVRAM (thorough) under Administration > Configuration
- Click ok to the confirmation, and it’ll reboot. (~2mins)
- Login again
- Change your login password and setup as desired
Inspired by Lindqvist blog post, which is about installing the Tomato by Shibby version on an older version of the E2500.